Are you moving house soon? One of your concerns is probably the electricity and/or gas supply to your new home. But just to make sure it’s easy: follow the guide!

You must complete several formalities to ensure energy when changing address.

When a new building is built, it must be connected to the local electricity and/or gas grid. In this way, an electricity meter (or several) can be installed. Of course, the same is applicable to gas. Only once connection has been made can the first commissioning take place. That is, the first opening of the meter.

But in the context of moving into a previously inhabited home, an electricity or gas meter usually already exists. If it is still open, you need only change it to your name and record the indices. However, it may have been closed for one reason or another: supply stoppage, closure of meters by the owner due to not using the building if an empty house contract is not entered into, etc. In this case, it may be necessary to reopen the counter. But how can you request this operation?

Steps to open or reopen a meter

  1. Ask your supplier for a ‘meter opening’ contract
  2. Acknowledgement of the request for commissioning
  3. Checking of your data and application with your DSO
  4. Making an appointment with your DSO to open the meter

1. Ask your supplier for a ‘meter opening’ contract

Before you can open a new meter or reopen a previously closed meter, you must choose an energy supplier. To do so, you can use the electricity and gas price comparison website. It will help you find out which matches your criteria as well as the cheapest energy deals on the market.

Having completed  this step, simply fill out a form online or by phone with the details of one of the occupants of the dwelling. This form must also contain the EAN code(s) setting out the point(s) of supply.

Electric lightbulb

Two situations are possible:

  • Either the application is issued as part of the connection of a new home with the electricity and/or gas network. You may obtain the code(s) from the distribution system operator (DSO), who takes care of the geographical area in question. Indeed, it is your DSO that will generate this/these new code(s) which concern(s) one or more new network supply points.
  • Or the application concerns reopening (a) previously closed meter(s). In this case, you can get this/these code(s) from the DSO or from the former owner/tenant. In theory, one of these two people made the request for closure, so they must be aware of the code(s) in question.

If you are unable to get it/them, you can contact us on 0800 37 456 or by e-mail at Our consultants will help you find the EAN code(s).

2. Acknowledgement of the request for commissioning

Once the application form has been duly completed, Comparateur-Energie consultants will send your request to the energy supplier of your choice. At the same time, you will receive a confirmation e-mail containing your information. If any information is wrong or missing, feel free to let know us.

3. Checking of your data and application with your DSO

The supplier checks the data received. Note: some suppliers now require proof of change of tenant/owner. You may therefore need to provide proof of lease or deed for the provider to start the procedure to apply to the DSO to open your meter.

4. Making an appointment with your DSO to open the meter

Open diary to note down the date of your appointmentWithin 24 to 72 hours after your request on Energyprice, you can contact your DSO to make an appointment with it. Then, an agent will be sent on site to open the meter(s). The supply then starts in classic fashion and the first payment invoice will arrive two, or even three weeks later.

This is the last administrative step concerning the opening of the meter. After the agent has opened the meter, all you need do is enjoy your new home and any promotions gleaned on

One last little tip from our consultants: if you have opted for a one year contract with a promotion, we recommend you make another comparison in a year’s time, when the above-mentioned promotion has expired.

If, on the other hand, you have chosen a contract without promotions, returning to the website the following year is not an advantage in itself. Especially, if you have chosen a fixed two-, three- or five-year contract. employees will, in any case, remain at your disposal if you have any questions.

Costs of commissioning for electricity and gas

Rates for opening an existing meter may vary according to your DSO, as this will depend on your geographical location. Find out the ones offered by certain DSOs (prices updated in July 2017).

RESA rates

The opening of an existing electricity and gas meter at RESA is free. However, you must pay to close it.

ORES rates

At ORES, opening an existing meter will cost €87 excl. VAT (6 or 21% according to the dwelling). Closure and the first commissioning of a meter are free. Moreover, allow 48 working hours for electricity and 72 for gas supplies.

As regards the combined opening (or closure) of an electric and a gas meter, the cost is €79 excl. VAT.

Sibelga rates

The Brussels distribution system operator charges €90.75 incl. VAT for the opening of a meter.

Infrax rates

If your system operator is Infrax, you will pay €66.72 excl. VAT for commissioning or decommissioning a meter. Note, however, that simultaneous commissioning with a new connection is free.

Must the customer be present at the time of the operation?

To carry out the commissioning of electricity and/or gas, the technician sent by the DSO requires the presence of a person on site. This is logical as it must have access to the facility located inside the dwelling. This is also the case for the replacement of your energy meter.

Therefore, if the customer cannot be free on the day of the appointment, s/he must ask someone of confidence and provide them with a spare set of keys. Otherwise the technician will come as agreed, but if unable to work, will be entitled to charge for unnecessary travel expenses.